John Isbell moving left a vacant seat on City Council and the City has taken steps to fill that vacant seat with as much transparency and opportunity to participate as possible.
We are asked that anyone interested in serving on City Council to submit a 100 to 200 word bio and brief resume to Courtney Rutherford by 4 pm, Friday, April 16th.
Several did apply. Council reviewed the applicants and chose four people to interview. After the mid-month interviews, Council will select a Council member to be sworn in and hold the seat until the term is up in May, 2022. Thanks to everyone who has expressed interest.
Here are the basic requirements: per the Election Code, Chapter 141.
(1) be a United States citizen;
(2) be 18 years of age or older on the first day of the term to be filled at the election or on the date of appointment, as applicable;
(3) have not been determined by a final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be:
(A) totally mentally incapacitated; or
(B) partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote;
(4) have not been finally convicted of a felony from which the person has not been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities;
(5) have resided continuously in the state for 12 months and in the territory from which the office is elected (in this case-selected)
If you are interested in serving the City but not yet prepared to run for Council, please submit your information but let us know you would like to serve somewhere else, like a committee, or another board or commission. We can always find a place for a person to help make our little One Square
Charles Jessup – Mayor